We had the good fortune of connecting with Eboné Bell and we’ve shared our conversation below.

Hi Eboné, how has your work-life balance changed over time?
My work-life balance has changed tremendously since starting Tagg Magazine in 2012. For the first two years, I took on almost everything from sales to distribution to editorial. This one woman show didn’t allow for much personal time. The scales weren’t balanced. 80% of my time went to my business, leaving only 20% for my personal time. For the first three years, I didn’t even take a vacation, let alone a staycation.

I believe the way you show up in your personal life reflects the way your business shows up to others. I couldn’t take this risk if I wanted the magazine to grow and be successful. I had to let go of “my baby” and embrace the power of delegation. Bringing in and trusting people allowed me to work on the business instead of work in my business. It freed up my time, which was the best thing I could do for myself and my personal life. My personal life brings me so much joy!

Now, I schedule time to take walks to clear my head or go to the gym. I also have time to run errands or even connect with friends and family face-to-face during the work day. (Obviously, the face-to-face hasn’t happened since the pandemic, but I look forward to being able to do it again).

When I feel off, I immediately recognize my lack of self-care and not making time for things in my persona life. That’s when I take time to think about the balance. I purposely schedule personal time within my daily tasks. I realize a healthy me is a healthy business.

Alright, so for those in our community who might not be familiar with your business, can you tell us more?
Tagg Magazine was created to serve “Everything lesbian, queer and under the rainbow” to provide the community with a central source for lesbian and queer culture, news and events.

Tagg is an innovative, magazine, website and podcast reaching thousands of LGBTQ people across the country. Our diverse readers—from young professionals to those with established families— recognize the strong need for more coverage of LGBTQ content. Tagg’s mission is to spotlight lesbian, queer, transgender, and bisexual individuals across the country, as well as bring our community together. Tagg is for our community. It’s for you. It’s your events, your resources and your stories.

I’m proud we give LGBTQ women a voice everywhere.

Shoutout is all about shouting out others who you feel deserve additional recognition and exposure. Who would you like to shoutout?
My Tagg Team deserves recognition as well. I literally couldn’t do any of this without them. They are the branches of this rooted and sturdy tree. I’ve never had a more solid team, a team of people who genuinely want to see the magazine grow, succeed, and make a difference in our community. There are times I stop and get emotional because I realize I not only have talented people working for me, but I also have a team who cares about me. I’m truly grateful for them.

Website: www.taggmagazine.com

Instagram: @TaggMagazine

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ebone-bell-67045758/

Twitter: @TaggMagazine

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/TaggMagazine

Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/TaggMagazine

Image Credits
Photo by Maya Satori

Nominate Someone: ShoutoutLA is built on recommendations and shoutouts from the community; it’s how we uncover hidden gems, so if you or someone you know deserves recognition please let us know here.