We had the good fortune of connecting with Mona Molayem and we’ve shared our conversation below.

Hi Mona, is there something you can share with us that those outside of the industry might not be aware of?
There are so many misconceptions about influencers and our industry, and a lot more goes into this career than one might imagine. To start, yes, influencers are content creators. That includes being photographers/videographers, editors, graphic designers, copywriters and marketers; BUT more than that, successful Influencers are first and foremost entrepreneurs. The biggest downfall I see even inside the industry from new influencers trying to monetize their content is that they focus too much on being content creators and are unaware of the business aspect of what it means to be an influencer. Anyone can be a content creator — all you have to do is make content and put it out there. But content creation is only about 5% of the job, where the other 95% is actually sales. Whether that’s pitching yourself to a brand, selling something to your audience, selling a lifestyle, the copy in your captions, or simply selling yourself as a brand to attract an audience and sponsors, at the end of the day, it’s all about closing the deal, just like any other business. It’s not just about taking nice photos. This is something that both many influencers and people on the outside of the industry overlook.

Can you open up a bit about your work and career? We’re big fans and we’d love for our community to learn more about your work.
I saw a gap in the marketplace and forecasted a trend for the future of luxury travel for the new generation. With a background in digital marketing, I utilized the social media platforms that resonate most with my demographic to define what millennial-luxury journey is. No longer does luxury travel mean jetting to 5-star resorts, never to leave the property except for the odd excursion carefully designed by a large travel chain; and no longer is it reserved for elite CEOs, wealthy families, or the boomer generation who worked tirelessly year-round to cash in on hard-earned vacation days. As millennials, we crave authentic and rewarding experiences. We may not have the type of disposable income as the generation who came before us. Still, we are savvy enough to travel-hack our way onto business class flights and into 5-star hotels through methods that involve collecting credit card points at accelerated speeds, gaming loyalty programs, and knowing when, where, and how to find the best deals on the web — but once we arrive at our destination we want to eat cheap street food, have ethical interactions with local communities and wildlife, and above all, make sure we are reducing the negative impact travel has on the earth through making conscious and environmentally-friendly choices. This type of travel is the basis of the content I create to inspire and help others travel in this way.

Any places to eat or things to do that you can share with our readers? If they have a friend visiting town, what are some spots they could take them to?
I’m a big foodie, so dining at my favorite restaurants like Bestia and Bottega Louie are a must. I love the beach, so a day out in Malibu to spend time by the water and hike Tuna Canyon for the epic ocean views is where I’d go. I’m a DTLA local, so checking out the Broad Museum, the Last Bookstore, and spending time in the Arts District and having a rooftop drink at Soho Warehouse are all local favorites of mine. Lastly, a rooftop pool somewhere in the city is the perfect vibe to enjoy the beautiful LA weather and scenery.

Who else deserves some credit and recognition?
My audience! I wouldn’t be here without their support.

Website: https://MonaCorona.com
Instagram: Instagram.com/MonaCorona
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/monacoronadotcom

Nominate Someone: ShoutoutLA is built on recommendations and shoutouts from the community; it’s how we uncover hidden gems, so if you or someone you know deserves recognition please let us know here.