We had the good fortune of connecting with Sydney Weiss and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Sydney, what’s the most important lesson your business/career has taught you?
Seek The Joy Podcast and my career have both taught me the importance of staying open and flexible, to not be afraid to make changes along the way, and to trust that every roadblock or setback is really just a stepping stone. When we’re working on a creative project or building a creative business, I think it’s really easy to get stuck in the overwhelm and fear. You’re often doing something you’ve never done before, and that means you’re pushing yourself way outside of your comfort zone. I’ve learned that we have to start somewhere to allow ourselves to build momentum. Fear and doubt will pop up, because it always does, but it’s about recognizing it when it does and putting it back in the box it belongs in. Start where you are today, and trust that your passions, interests, and joy will guide you.
Let’s talk shop? Tell us more about your career, what can you share with our community?
Seek The Joy Podcast is your go-to podcast for heartfelt storytelling and conversations on all things self-love, joy, connection, empowerment, wellness and spirituality. Seek The Joy is inspired by our ongoing journey toward growth, empowerment, and self-love, and every episode offers a fresh perspective, aha! moments, laughs, stories, and wisdom that will stick with you throughout the week. It’s a space for real, honest, and open conversation and an opportunity to connect, inspire, empower and grow. I’m really proud of the authentic storytelling I’ve brought to life on the podcast. What I love so much about the conversations I share is that they’re unlike any I’ve heard on any other podcast. This is what makes Seek The Joy Podcast different! Every conversation is honest, vulnerable, unique, uplifting and real. There’s always a moment during every conversation where my guest says something that stops me in my tracks or where a lightbulb goes off. When I started the podcast in 2017 my goal was to create a space free of judgment to authentically share who we are. Every week someone hops on the microphone with me and chooses to stand tall in their vulnerability and show up just as they are. It’s really empowering to witness. We’re all searching for connection, to be seen and heard for who we really are, and I’m grateful that Seek The Joy Podcast provides the space to do just that. Life is a journey, we are constantly evolving, and my hope is that someone who tunes in will connect to what brings them joy, leave feeling inspired, and remember that they’re not alone.
Let’s say your best friend was visiting the area and you wanted to show them the best time ever. Where would you take them? Give us a little itinerary – say it was a week long trip, where would you eat, drink, visit, hang out, etc.
I love this question! Born and raised in Los Angeles, I’ve been lucky enough to call this beautiful and diverse city home my entire life. Over the years I’ve had a chance to explore some of the city’s most popular spots for self-care, wellness, and spirituality, and there’s nothing I love more than spending a Saturday or Sunday visiting my favorite spots (pre-pandemic of course!) Here are some of the spots that would be a must-see and visit.
1. Kreation Organic Juicery Kreation is my favorite organic cafe for fresh cold pressed juice, a tonic shot, or something delicious from their cafe when I’m looking for a quick and healthy meal on the go. My personal favs from their cafe are the Go-Go Garbanzo or Chinese Chicken wrap, and my favorite all-time juice is Healer and Serenity. Kreation’s goal has always been to provide nourishing, clean fuel for your mind, body and spirit, and with accessible locations all across Southern California, that’s exactly what they do.
2. Santa Monica Farmer’s Market The Santa Monica Farmer’s Market is a great spot for fresh organic produce, people watching, and local finds. They always have a wide assortment of local farm-to-table prepared foods, the musical entertainment varies from week-to-week, and they have seasonal cooking demonstrations too. With markets on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday, their mission is to create thriving, vibrant communities while also promoting sustainability and California farmers. Whenever I visit the market, I love walking around and checking out all of the produce stands before I pick out ingredients for the week. I always make sure to grab fresh flowers, and even a pastry (I’m a sucker for a blueberry scone!)
3. Olive & June Olive & June is one of the cutest and chicest nail spots I’ve been to in Los Angeles. Founded in 2013, their Beverly Hills location is their flagship and it’s the one I’ve been to, but they now have locations in Santa Monica and Pasadena too. I love their polish selection, their attention to detail and personalized care throughout your visit, and their nail art is super cute too! It’s the perfect spot for a little nail self-care, plus the ambiance will make you feel like you’re in your best friends cute living room (or is that just me?!)
4. Mystic Journey Bookstore Mystic Journey Bookstore is my favorite hidden gem (quite literally!) in Los Angeles for healing crystals and stones. From the moment you walk in you feel like you’re instantly transported to a crystal paradise. It’s a great spot for all things metaphysical and spiritual, and they also offer intuitive psychic readings and astrology, spiritual and visionary books, incense, candles, sage, singing bowls and gemstone jewelry. Plus once you’re there, take advantage and explore all of what Abbott Kinney has to offer. It’s filled with cute shops and spots to explore.
5. Explore Malibu I lived in Malibu while I was in law school, and it often feels like a second home. Exploring El Matador State Beach, Zuma or Paradise Cove would be at the top of my list. While you’re out there, I recommend spending time at the Malibu Country Mart and eating at the Malibu Kitchen & Gourmet, and stopping by the Malibu Pier and eating at Malibu Farm.
Shoutout is all about shouting out others who you feel deserve additional recognition and exposure. Who would you like to shoutout?
I have to give credit to the incredible community of listeners who tune into Seek The Joy Podcast! The show wouldn’t be where it is today without their love, support, and encouragement. Over the last three years, it’s been incredible and humbling to see the community grow and hear and see the impact of the podcast on their lives. I’ve received countless e-mails and messages from people all over the world who love the podcast and connect to its message. They write in and share their stories and the impact the podcast has had on their lives. Every single message reminds me why I started, and I’m just so grateful. You never know how your bravery, courage and joy will inspire someone else to stand in their truth and share their story.
Other: Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/seek-the-joy-podcast/id1287315751?mt=2
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/3DnRwoKTQHnCcNqSpNTGjy?si=fZz5f8zQSi25djkxWrprJg www.sydneyaweiss.com