We had the good fortune of connecting with Tyler Caldwell and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Tyler, what was your thought process behind starting your own business?
To create a brand with passion and a purpose not just for the money . Your business should be something you love waking up to in the morning , when you leave your house you should be excited to go do something you love to do . I love going to breweries. I would invite friends and family out for a good beer but a lot of them would pass on the invitation due to the fact they weren’t into beer or understood the flavors or the process of a good craft beer . That’s when I decided that I wanted to create something of my own . Something that my friends and family could try, enjoy and change their opinion on beer. At first it started as a hobby but my friends and family really started to enjoy my craft why not bring a vision to life and target other non beer drinkers and invite them into craft beer world . I want to invite not just non beer drinkers into the craft beer world but also to show and motivate other young black women to not be scared and take risks in such a male dominated industry . If you are passionate about something you love hit the gas , no breaks and go full speed you might hit some bumps but keep going go full speed.
Alright, so let’s move onto what keeps you busy professionally?
I think what sets me apart from others is that I am Young, Black and a woman and stepping into a male dominated industry that isn’t scared to get her feet wet or break a nail trying to build a name and an example in an industry that black people and women are overlooked in . I am proud of where I am from every single beer I have brewed represents a little part of me, who I am , where I from or what I grew up to I want to give everyone who supports me a piece of me . I dealt with a lot of challenges along the way I still deal with challenges every day . I had friends who didn’t believe I was serious in my craft , I reached out to other local breweries who acted as if they were interested in working with me but never set a real date, some even left me on read others provided terrible advice and tried to scare me out of the business . I doubted myself a lot when this happened but I had to remind myself not to give up , give myself daily pep talks and remind myself that I do still have people around me who support my vision , my craft and to keep going . Everyday is a new challenge for me because I need to be better than I was yesterday. If its learning something new , trying a new ingredient or even meeting / networking with someone new. I’m proud that I didn’t give up or get scared along the way because now I have met so many new incredible people , learned so many new things and have so many new doors and opportunities in front of me . I’m not exactly where I want to be just yet but I’m excited with my progress and excited to see where a girl from Gardena is about to go .
Any places to eat or things to do that you can share with our readers? If they have a friend visiting town, what are some spots they could take them to?
If my best friend was visiting for a week our itinerary would look a little something like this …
– Monday we are going to the coffee company in Westchester. AMAZING breakfast , MOET champagne for breakfast and it is literally next to the airport where you can take amazing photos where air planes fly right over your head then we will go to have my one of my favorite beers at El Segundo brewery the Mayberry IPA .
– Tuesday we are going to Donna’s Caribbean food in Hawthorne to have some of the best oxtails in the city by Ms. Donna herself we then will take our plate of oxtails down the street to LA Ale works brewery and have a flight of beers .
– Wednesday we are getting on Jet Ski’s in Long Beach and taking a ride out to Catalina Island for some drinks and ride back .
– Thursday we’re going to happy hour for Margarita’s and Amazing Mexican food at Burnt Tortilla for lunch in Gardena then we would sight see the city I am from and visit
– local landmarks .
– Friday maybe take a drive out to Costa Mesa and hit up La Vida Cantina for a fun night out . Great drinks , Great Food and Bottle Service
– Saturday we brunch at one of my favorite restaurants in New Port Beach Red-O . We’ll be taking it easy since we had one hell of a night Friday .
– Sunday we will pack , hang out at home , rest and recover before its time for my bestie to go back home .
Shoutout is all about shouting out others who you feel deserve additional recognition and exposure. Who would you like to shoutout?
I would like to mention my partner Steph honestly a big part of her support is the reason I am where I am today . She made the idea of me wanting to create my own craft beer reality . Steph actually took me to my first hands on home-brew class , after the class she purchased my first home-brewing kit , that was about four years ago. Now Steph is the person behind my social media , the person who creates my labels and helps me bottle my beer . I just tell her what I need i provide a name and she goes and does what she does best . My second shout out goes to Clarence and Jermaine from Hippin Hops Brewery the first black owned brewery in Atlanta . They gave me my first real opportunity outside of my home to show the craft beer world that I really do this . They allowed me to brew at their brewery and created the LA Sour which is currently on tap and being served there. They created such a huge stepping stone for me.