We had the good fortune of connecting with Webb Travis and we’ve shared our conversation below.

Hi Webb, we’d love to hear about how you approach risk and risk-taking

Since I can remember, I’ve always taken risks. I would like to say that about 80% of them have worked out for the best. The other 20%, while they were failed risks/attempts, they were lessons that allowed me to be prepared & successful for the next task that would come along.

I risked leaving a steady job, to start my own free lance career in the fitness world.

I risked moving across the country, not knowing a soul or how I was going to make money.

I risked being married young & getting a divorce, scared of what others were going to think.

I risked Cutting family ties because of the toxic relationships that came with those ties.

No matter what the risk, there is a reward in one sense or another, it’s just making the decision & owning the outcome.

Alright, so for those in our community who might not be familiar with your business, can you tell us more?

My business background started back in high school, where I worked at the family restaurant growing up. I did Payroll, book keeping, pizza chef, prep work, dishes, bartending & more. Working in front of a 700 degree pizza oven, with an open flame blazing behind you, during a dinner rush & order slips across the board & a stack of 20+ more orders waiting to get out in the board… the rest of my career, “work” was easy.

In College I was a double major while working 3 jobs to help pay my way through school. I not Only finished college with my Bachelors in Marketing & Bachelors in Exercise Science. I went on to study for my Masters In Business Administration.

Having all 3 of these degrees, while working the 3 jobs as a bartender, personal trainer & group fitness instructor, showed me the balance of time management, how to “multi task” and learn to do only the things you love.

Time is one of our non renewable resources & I found a way to do what I love & get paid well for it. Not only that, by opening my gym, TURF, I have Created a fun & safe place for ALL trainers to come and do what they love under one roof.

In the grand scheme of things, everything was “easy” because I get To do what I love, let alone with my background in business along with my wife who owns 3 businesses of her own, we are able to be an unstoppable force.

I want TURF to be not only THE place to go for the best personal training & group fitness classes, but I want people to know that TURF is more than just a place, it’s a feeling. A feeling you get from pulling into the parking lot, the feeling you get walking into the doors & are greeted by the coaches & fellow members. The feeling of being “home”, secure & ready to get a fun workout.

Any places to eat or things to do that you can share with our readers? If they have a friend visiting town, what are some spots they could take them to?

We would of course start our morning off with a fun, sweaty & challenging workout at TURF. Followed by the post – workout smoothie at EarthBar… followed by the best Bone Broth waffles in Newport, at Coffee Dose Cafe.

After breakfast we would go check out some of the fun places I love to go, RVCA HQ on 16th Street, Lido Marina Village, check out Fashion Island and hit up some of my favorite stores such as Vuori, Lululemon & more. Grab some lunch at R&D Kitchen.

Maybe go grab a late paddle board right down by Lido, and head into an early dinner down at ARC Butcher & Bakery. That place has the best food in all of Newport.

Who else deserves some credit and recognition?
My motivation & drive come from 3 sources in my life.

My wife & business partner, Kacey Taormina. She always pushes me to be a better version of myself & I ‘m so grateful to have her.

My sweet grandmother, who not only made it to 100 years of age, she was the matriarch in our family. From being a COO of a major pharmaceutical company, to working in Washington DC for the Australian Government as the Director of Imports & Exports, to owning her own Honey Business at the age of 80 and well into her early 90s. She was a great influence on my life.

Lastly, the suicide and loss of my father. He was sick in many ways, mental health, cancer, alcohol & drugs. He was unable to take help from those who loved him and instead, took his own life. Because of him, I always want to help others.

Website: www.turfnb.com

Instagram: WebbTravisPT

Other: @Turf_nb for IG too

Image Credits
CoCo Gallery by Michelle Ford

Nominate Someone: ShoutoutLA is built on recommendations and shoutouts from the community; it’s how we uncover hidden gems, so if you or someone you know deserves recognition please let us know here.